Tuesday 31 May 2016

If you're body positive, why do you cover your birthmark?

A question I got asked a few days ago, so I thought I'd write a blog post on it in case anyone else thought the same thing and I felt like I needed to clarify myself.
I cover because it's just part of my everyday make-up routine, like most girls. Just because I am body positive doesn't mean i will be make up free forever, I like wearing it. 
There's no right or wrong in wearing it, I do what makes me happy and if I'm able to help people along the way then it's a bonus.
I used to be the girl that was afraid to go out the house with no make-up on but I'm not that girl now, I'm not bothered anymore, I have accepted myself and my flaws and I'm turning them into a positive and that's all that matters to me. I will go out with no make-up on or I will go out with. I'm still the same person.
I love make-up so if I suddenly stopped wearing it, I wouldn't be me anymore.
I'm sure we have all had those days where your not wearing as much make-up as usual and someone says "You look really tired, is everything ok?"
No, not tired, but thanks for letting me know I look like a heap of shit. 
Make-up is a powerful thing it's every woman's secret weapon.
I would say make-up is a little hobby of mine, I like to try out new make-up looks when I'm bored or watch YouTube make-up tutorials. 
'Makeup is not a tool meant to make ugly things beautiful. It is meant to magnify the beauty that already exists.' 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Amy

    I don't know if I'm the only one, but I actually love port-win stains. I find them very fascinating and beautiful. I try not to stare but they draw the eye so... there is a man in my city who cycles to work, and has this mark, and I know I mustn't stare, but it's difficult because it is just so lovely. I think the no make-up selfie thing was misinterpreted by a lot of people, and I'm glad your story was on the BBC website or I wouldn't have known about the beginning of this movement. I don't wear makeup so I didn't really register much except the existence of the movement. Well done, and know that you look beautiful both with and without makeup; that with makeup you look 'normal' and without it you look exceptional, wonderful, amazing, unique, indescribable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! It meant alot and made me smile :) x

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi amy, i just recently joined the fb birthmark support group where i spotted you post your you tube tutorial. i came across you before on the daily mail and veil cover foundation leflets. i just wanted to say thank you for setting up this blog. if there was blogs and social media when i was growing up im sure i would have had more confidence about myself. i have a port wine stain on the right side of my face and found growing up with it very difficult and even now at 37 yrs old i am still very self conscious. im sure your blogs are giving so many young people inspiration and confidence. I use Viche dermablend and find it good. before that i used clinuque continious coverage for 20 yrs but they discontinued it recently! :( i tried veil before but used it a little different to how you showed so i may try again! so thank again. Naoimh

    ReplyDelete